Monday 23 June 2014

I'd like to allow myself to introduce myself

Thank you to everyone that attended tonight's session, my first as Head Junior Coach. The children worked really hard and I couldn't have wished for a better start.

I feel very proud to be welcomed into this club, and I look forward to helping develop the swimmer's talent for the future. For those that were not at the AGM; here's a little about me.

I started my swimming career in a very similar club to Orion, called the Daventry Dolphins.  I then progressed through the squads before moving onto Northampton swimming club. My main stroke was/is breastroke, where I won Midland Regionals numerous times, broke midland junior records, became National Age Group champion and swam for England at an international schools swim meet. As I went to University, I became a more casual swimmer whilst concentrating on my studies. I swam for the City of Leeds and City of Sheffield, working under some of Britain's top coaches. Upon finishing university, whilst training to be a teacher, I progressed as a swim teacher, being mentored by a tutor who helped write the current ASA National Plan for Teaching Swimming. I taught in a Daventry swim scheme whilst supporting the junior squad of my old club, the Daventry Dolphins. My philosophy is to ensure that swimmers have the technical skills to be able to have the best chance of achieving their potential in the future. I was successful in having former swimmers of mine move through the club, competing under the Head Coach at Regional and National level.

For consistancy,  there will not be any sweeping changes made by myself. Land training will begin straight after the swimmers have got changed, ready for a prompt finish at 8 o'clock. I shall be carrying this on through the summer until we start to lose daylight in the autumn. The children that attend really benefit from the focus on swimming specific core skills,  to help them hold the best body position in the water and technique to be able to carry the exercises on their own.

I will be carrying on with morning training, until King Edward's girls school shuts for refurbishment.  I hope to see as many swimmers there as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment